Friday, February 6, 2009

Dusted Vamps

I always wanted to make an action figure where there is a vampire getting dusted. When I first started out customizing I didn't realize that people use parts of figures to make new figures. I thought the customizers made the heads. I started out with some hard clay (FEMO clay) and I started sculpting a head. Needless to say, it didn't turn out. I even tried to make an imprint of a face in clay, bake it, then put new clay into that mold to try to get a face print. That worked out somewhat. I then tweaked the head a bit and I put it on an Angel figure's body. Here is what it looked like.
I also molded clay around the chest to show the vampire starting to turn into dust. For some reason I made a cowboy hat and I liked it too much to not use it--so I put that on this guy's head. I also made another vampire that was almost completely dusted.
I used one of those screwed up heads I tried making with a spare hand from a figure. I never painted the figures since I wasn't into painting yet.
A year or so later I was pouring the liquid plastic into one of my molds and some of it spilled over into a mold I made of a vampire Xander. When I was cleaning out the mold, some of the head was there--some was missing. It looked just like a vampire that was turning into dust. What a great accident!!
I forgot to take a picture of the front, but here is the makings of my dusted vampire. I used the same concept of my accident to make the other parts of the disappearing/dusting body.
Since this was a shirtless figure, I sculpted on a shirt and shoes. You can see some of the body is missing. Here are some pictures of the painted piece. You can even see through the figure in some spots!
It was tricky making the vampire look like it was turning into dust. I painted the whole figure black first. Then I used white and gray paint mixture and dry brushed it over the black to give it an ashy look. I think the finished pieces look neat--especially from the earlier work, and with this being an accident and all.
To make the nearly dusted vampire, I used my older version of this dusted vamp and added a skeleton upper body/arm/head. I put a piece of the Xander vampire head over the skeleton head to give it that vampire look.



I may someday make a different Buffy to go along with these vampires. For now, this is my display.

No comments: