Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tough Love Glory and Tara

I wanted to stretch my abilities as a growing customizer so I wanted to recreate the scene where Glory sticks her hands into Tara's head, sucking out her brains. The only downfall was I needed to find a park bench that would be in proportion to the 6 inch figures (12:1 scale) and I needed to figure out how to make Tara with ears. I managed to find the park bench for a reasonable price on ebay. I also came across a Peter (?) figure--from Spiderman. His facial features are similar to Tara and he has ears!

Here are the parts I used.

I used a Glory head on a Charmed figure's torso/arms. I also used Cordy's legs (purple dress). The rest of her I sculpted. For Tara I used the Peter head and the Graduation Faith's body. I think that is a Buffy jacket also.
Glory was pretty easy to sculpt. Once I got the pieces to hold togher, I was able to sculpted the dress. I also had to sculpt her wild hair! I was going to redo the shoes but thought it best to leave that alone. (Again, I don't know why this blogger flips my pictures--I can't rotate them one they are being edited....grrr)

Tara wasn't all that difficult to sculpt either. Her jacket was longer so I had to add clay to the jacket to extend it. Here are some pictures of that:






Things looked like they were going to be good...that is until I started painting. I guess boy heads should be used for boy customs and likewise for girls. Or at least for me.

Here is what the painted pieces turned out to look like.


As you can see, as much as I really wanted this to turn out, it didn't. It looks like a guy wearing make-up. So as much as I didn't want to--I ditched that head and decided to try the only Tara head that was made (I used a cast of her head). I would just have to sculpt the ears.

Here is picture of that:


I think it's plain to see that the head just was not large enough compred to Glory's head and it didn't sit right on the body. (but darn it because I liked the hair sculpt with this figure)

So a woman (Barb) on the BtVSFigs forum told me that some people used a Daena (Planet of the Apes) figure before they came out with a Tara figure for customs. So I found a great deal on one on ebay and I decided to give it a go--since I've put so much time into this piece and I didn't want to trash it.
Here is the makings of the new Tara....



I also decided to just sculpt her jacket instead of using a manufactured one. It just looked nicer.

And now the finished piece. I wasn't especially thrilled how it turned out. It looks like Tara but the lips are making this monkey face which is throwing me off. They don't reflect the pain she is showing in here eyes. I did end up sculpting ears. I had perfect ears at one time--no joke, but go figure they were too low on her face so my 8th attempt after that, I gave up trying for perfection. I took pictures of her and the ears just looked huge. So I painted some hair over her ears so make the ears look smaller. I don't think I re-took pictures to show that. So if the ears look huge on her, it's not that bad anymore.




As far as the base, I used the back side of a base that comes with some figures. I filled it in with come cheap clay (FEMO--I didn't want to use up my good stuff). I also used two grass bases and filled in the gaps with the cheaper clay.
This sure has come a long way from my original idea to where it will remain now. I couldn't get Glory's hands to work to make them inside Tara's head. First off, her arms were too short. Part of this had to do with the way she was sitting (and she was sitting like this in the show) so I'm not sure how that was possible. I think if I had sculpted the figures more together--as one piece, not two, it would have worked. One of Glory's arm had to reach from behind and then her hand had to curve into Tara's head. There was no way I could make this work without making it super fragile. I think the end product gets the point across that Glory is going to attack Tara.

No comments: