Friday, July 24, 2009

You're Welcome

Season 5, Episode 12: You're Welcome
Original Air Date: 4 February 2004 In the 100th episode, Cordelia awakens from her magically induced coma and returns to help Angel fight an old enemy who has reappeared even more powerful than ever.


Now that I am getting a bit better at sculpting figures and thinking "outside the box" as far as faces (and with the success of painting the Dr. Wood figure) I've developed a confidence to try new things. I'm starting to mix more parts to make more accurate poses. I'm using different heads and painting a whole new face on it to try to make it look like someone else (other than the original figure). Sometimes I'm good and it looks accurate with a good likeness, sometimes I'm off. I wasn't totally in awe over this piece but I enjoyed making it.

I made Angel and Lindsey during their fight scene from the episode "You're Welcome." I mainly made this episode to go along with the factory made Cordelia. I haven't found the right pieces to go with the Cordy figure so ironically she's not part of the finished set. I also debated how involved I wanted to make my base for the two figures. I decided to go easy and I used a illuminating disc that responds to touch or sound. I covered that with some cross-stitch board, painted black (this is not seen in the pictures below).

I used many pieces to make Lindsey. I'm happy how he turned out but the face isn't exactly how I wanted it to look. I also used a cast of a Graduation Day Angel figure and I had a heck of a time getting the clay to stick to the cast. It kept breaking off. So the chest area looks rough. There also was a huge hole in the stomach area that I had to fill in with clay and try to get the clay to match with the rest of the figure. Anyway, here are some before pictures.

Here is the recipe: I used a Lord Of The Rings action figure's head (not sure which one it is), a cast from the Graduation Day Angel figure's torso, Chosen Xander's right arm and legs, deluxe Spike arm, and Oz's left hand. I then sculpted the hair, open shirt (I like how the pushed up sleeve turned out!), and belt buckle. Like I said above I had to touch up the stomach area also.

Here are some Lindsey pictures from the show. Notice how the tattoo on his chest changes. It is facing in two different directions. A mistake on Joss Whedon's part and it screwed me up when I was trying to find the shot to use to paint my figure.

Here is my painted piece.

For Angel I used the Season 5 Angel since this was basically what he wore during this show. I just sculpted on the ends of the jacket so that when he was done being painted it gave the illusion he was wearing a jacket over his shirt--see the picture.

I painted him to look like what he wore in the show. I used a white charcoal pencil to make the lines on the jacket.

Here are some finished pictures of both the men during their fight scene. The light below them is a blue-ish light which isn't really like the show, but it does look neat and it represents what they were standing on during the show.

No comments: