Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tough Love (Willow and Glory)

Season 5, Episode 19: Tough Love
Original Air Date: 1 May 2001 While Buffy tries to control a motherless Dawn and bring their lives back to some sort of normalcy, Tara and Willow get into their first major argument. Meanwhile, Glory thinks she has figured out who the Key is.




I am also going to make the scene where Glory "sucks out" Tara's brain--since this scene lead to the scene that I created here.




I had fun making this scene even though it took me a long time to complete. I was originally going to create the scene where Willow makes the knives appear out of the bag ready to attack Glory. It was going to be cool. Then I realized Willow was not floating in the air at this point in the attack (and I had already made Willow with a stick in her back to make her float. So on to plan 2 and that was the scene where Willow says "I owe you pain!" I love that!!




I made willow using a spice girl's body (I just found this figure at a junk store). It worked out great because of her big, black, chunky boots. I used the head from a Willow action figure. I sculpted the dress, coat, and the hair blowing in the wind. This has to be one of my favorite customs out of all of them. It was really hard painting the clothes of Willow. (Then as I was going back to find out the name of this episode, I saw Willow wearing the dress and coat in earlier scenes showing great detail. But I think I did a great job with what little I had to see). I had cut a piece of wire coat hanger and sculpted around that so it almost looks like she is floating. I have to use a piece of clay to put the stick into to hold up Willow. She's fallen over a few times--which if you make customs you know that they can't fall or they'll break--but my Willow has held up to much abuse!




For Willow's "magic lightning" I used hot glue. I put hot glue on a metal tray to look sort of like lightning. I put it into the freezer. Some of it came off the tray easily, some did not. I then hot glued that all around Glory to look like she was getting blasted. I would have really love to figure out how to take my disco plasma light ball and use that. The electricity in that looks like Willow's magic blast.




For Glory I started using the red dress action figure (since I wanted to make the scene with the knives. But at that point she was in a little black dress. So I found a different figure, used Glory's head and created this.



But that wouldn't work out since I didn't do that scene. I really liked how her necklace and feet/shoes turned out. Ah well...

Since I didn't want to break this figure I had previously taken an imprint of Glory's face so I used a piece of clay, pressed it into the mold, and I got a new face. I'm doing something more sophisticated now which I'll get into with later blogs.

This is the figure I used in the scene. I had to fix up the red dress a little, make the face sculpt (making it with her mouth open--which you can do when the clay is soft) and sculpted new hair. I also had to redo the feet (sigh) since she wore open-toe shoes. So I had to sculpt feet and the shoes. Notice that the figure has some paint on it, I forgot to take a "before" picture before I stated to paint, so that is why it looks that way it does.




Finally, for the background I made the wall painting Glory has on her wall along with her chair, end table and wall. I also tried to find a carpet that was similar to the one she had and I added that too. It is all sitting on a pink colored tile. This is one of my favorite, most detailed scenes I've created so far...



No comments: